Monday, October 6, 2014

Sprucing Up The Office

Nothing is better than studying in an space that you love. Today, I finished up a project I'd been putting off for a week or two... so I'm excited to share it!

If you are like me, you have tons of small pieces of paper lying around that need to be sorted. What could be better than a beautiful, giant cork board!?

My project - make a cork board to fit my new office theme - Whites, pinks and gold accents.

Here is the finished product:




How to Make your own Fabric Covered Cork Board:

1. Find the perfect frame. Mine is from Homesense. Unfortunately, they only had the frame in black, so first I had to paint it. This is the paint I used (no added colour). It is Pure White.



2. Find Cork to suit the dept of your pins. I bought my cork squares from Dollarama (2 squares for 2$, and used 6 squares).

    I mounted my cork squares on Dollarama Art Board - slightly spongy, more sturdy. I wanted to be able to change the fabric if I got tired of it.




I used a glue gun to secure the cork squares to the art board. Then I trimmed the extra cork off with an Exact-o knife. Make sure your Art-board-Cork complex fits perfectly into your frame before you attach the fabric!

3. Use the glue gun to attach your fabric onto the back of the Art board. I steamed the fabric first to ensure there were no creases. Place fabric down on work surface, then place cork side down. Pull on edges of fabric as you glue it down to make it taut, and eliminate wrinkles from the fabric.

4. To allow myself to change the fabric, I use Command Strips to secure the finished board in place within the frame.



All that is left to do is to mount it to the wall and decorate it with papers and your favourite images!

Hope yours turned out well! Pinterest Win!

More Photos of the updated Office to come - Happy Studying,


Cara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment